The objects for which the Chamber is established shall be for the promotion, protection and advancement of all interests affecting trade and industry of the Malaysian Indian Community. In furtherance of these objects, the Chamber shall be empowered:
* to co-operate with the Government of Malaysia, State Governments and public bodies in Malaysia in furtherance of the economic development and prosperity of Malaysia with particular reference to the promotion of the investment and trade and advancement of Indian business interests and businessmen;
* to promote and facilitate commerce and industry in Malaysia and between Malaysia and foreign countries and the interests of persons engaged in such commerce and industry;
* to collect, collate and disseminate statistical and other information relating to commerce and industry;
* to promote and constructively comment on legislations or other measures affecting commerce and industry.
* to adjust controversies between members of the Chamber with the prior permission of the members concerned;
* to arbitrate in the matter of disputes arising out of commercial transactions between members of the Chamber and/or other parties willing or agreeing to abide by the judgement and decision of the Chamber;
* to sell, improve, manage, develop, exchange. lease, mortgage, dispose of or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property of the Chamber;
* to provide facilities for holding and conducting sale of properties, arbitrations, meetings of creditors, meetings of companies or other like matters;
* to communicate with other Chambers of Commerce and Industry and other mercantile and public and private bodies throughout the world and promote measures for facilitation of trade;
* to construct upon any premises acquired for the purposes of the Chamber any building or buildings for the purposes of the Chamber and to alter, add or remove any building upon such premies;
* to borrow or raise any monies required for the purposes of the Chamber upon such terms and in such manner and on such securities as the Chamber may determine;
* to subscribe to, become a member of or co-operate with any lawful Association whether incorporated or not whose objects are wholly or in part similar to those of the Chamber's;
* to establish and support, or aid in the establishment and support of associations, institutions, funds or trusts calculated to benefit employees or ex-employees of the Chamber, of the dependents or connections of such persons, to grant pensions or allowances, to make payments towards insurance and to subscribe or guarantee money for any charitable or patriotic purposes of any exhibition or for any public, general or useful objects.